Is there a penalty for not paying the alarm registration fees?
The Alarm Ordinance states that a violation of Municipal Code Section 1-6. “If Prosecuted, you can receive up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.”
Why are false alarms a problem?
False alarms take police and firefighters from real emergencies. They can also cause neighbors to ignore your alarm when it goes off.
Am I fined if I have a false alarm?
Yes, False Alarm fees are assessed. False alarm service fees are as follows:(2) False Alarms within a twelve-month period are free More than (2) False Alarms within a twelve-month period for a residential alarm is $50.00. More than (2) False Alarms within a twelve-month period for a non-residential alarm is $100.00.
How Can I prevent a false alarm?
To prevent “False Alarms” have your security company check your system regularly. Have routine maintenance can help prevent many false alarms.The majority of “False Alarms” are caused by user error. Make sure that everyone who uses your alarm system understands how it works. Anyone who has a key to your home should know how to operate your system
Why do I have to register my alarm?
Current ordinance requires each alarm to be registered every year with the City. The registration is valid for twelve months.
How and where can I get a new alarm registration form?
There are several ways to obtain an alarm registration form:
- Visit the City of Fort Lauderdale’s website at www.fortlauderdale.gov. Go to “Quick Links,” select “Alarm Registration,” and download a form.
- Go to any of the following location to pick up a form:
- Fort Lauderdale Police Dept. – Records Division
1300 W Broward Blvd
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33312
- One-Stop Shop
300 NW 1st Ave
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
How much is the alarm registration fee?
If I registered my alarm in the previous years, do I pay the renewal fee of $25.00. Everyone must pay an initial registration fee of $50.00. Every year after the initial registration requires an annual renewal fee of $25.00.
Who do I make the check payable to?
Checks must be made out payable to the “City of Ft. Lauderdale”.
Where do I mail my registration form to?
The alarm registration forms have the following mailing address on them, which is:
- City of Ft Lauderdale
PO Box 31687
Tampa, FL 33631-3687
Do I get a certificate or sticker providing that my alarm has been registered?
- You do not get a certificate or sticker. Your registration form becomes the certificate, which is kept on file at the Alarm Unit. Your cancelled check is your receipt of registration.
- If you should have any concerns regarding registration confirmation, email the alarm unit at AlarmUnit@fortlauderdale.gov or call (954) 828-6429.